Close X

How do I serve New York divorce papers if I cannot find my spouse?

New York divorce law requires personal service upon a spouse. You must conduct a due diligence search and prove to the satisfaction of the court that you made a good faith effort to locate your spouse. After a due diligence search is conducted an application can be made to the court to serve your spouse by publication.

New York Domestic Relations Law section 232(a) provides for service by publication pursuant to CPLR § 315 in the event that service cannot be made by another prescribed method with due diligence. However, service by publication should be utilized only as a last resort where all other methods of service are unavailable, including possible methods of expedient service under CPLR § 308(5).

Bronx divorce lawyer Bryan J. Hutchinson will fight for your right to child custody, child support, spousal maintenance, and equitable distribution of property. We zealously represent divorce and family law clients for over 20 years in New York State Courts in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and Nassau Counties. Call the Law Office of Bryan J. Hutchinson, PLLC at (718) 671-0900 for a confidential consultation.


Get the legal help you deserve.

At the Law Office Bryan Hutchinson, PLLC, we focus on personal injury, divorce, and probate and estate administration. We are dedicated advocates, committed to protecting your rights with vigor and understanding. Our approach combines zealous advocacy with a deep concern for your unique situation, ensuring that your case is handled with both determination and care."

Contact us today

The Law Office Bryan Hutchinson, PLLC is committed to answering your questions about personal injury, divorce, and probate and estate administration issues in New York. We offer free personal injury consultations and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

Law Office of Bryan J. Hutchinson, PLLC
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm