Close X

Can I stop paying New York child support when the child turns 18 years old?

You can stop paying New York child support at age 18 if:

  • The child becomes emancipated by getting married, or joining the military, or lives on his own and is self-supporting;
  • You become the custodial parent; or
  • You cohabitate in the same household with the child and the custodial parent.

We zealously represent divorce and family law clients for over 20 years in New York State Courts in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and Nassau Counties in child support proceedings. Call Bronx divorce lawyer Bryan J. Hutchinson at (718) 671-0900 for a confidential consultation.